Want a cavity-free smile? This begins with your home care routine.
What is the first feature you notice when you meet someone? If you said smile, then you’re part of the 40 percent of people who do. Your smile’s appearance is also important for your overall appearance and self-confidence. Fortunately, maintaining a beautiful smile is as easy as practicing good oral care habits. Wondering what your oral care routine should include? Along with visiting our Dearborn, MI, dentist Dr. Mahmoud Farhat every six months, here’s what you can do to properly care for your smile,
Brushing and Flossing
Your daily oral care routine is one of the biggest indicators of a healthy smile. So, are your current brushing and flossing habits really as good as they should be? Here are some tips to follow (if you aren’t already),
- Set a timer for two minutes and make sure you are brushing for at least two minutes each time you brush. You should also be brushing a minimum of twice a day. If you have braces you will need to brush after each meal or snack.
- Floss your teeth at least once a day, ideally before brushing your teeth. Flossing will remove plaque, food particles and bacteria from between teeth, which will allow fluoride toothpaste to be able to better reach these spaces for a more thorough clean.
- Make sure to replace your toothbrush as soon as the bristles start to splay out (usually every 3-4 months) or immediately after illness.
- Always use fluoride toothpaste, as this mineral is important for maintaining healthy tooth enamel.
There are certain habits that you may not even realize could have a serious or detrimental impact on your oral health. Follow these helpful smile-friendly habits,
- Do not use your teeth as tools, as this can lead to broken, chipped teeth.
- Do not crush or chew ice, which can also damage teeth.
- If you are prone to teeth grinding, talk with your Dearborn, MI, general dentist about getting a custom mouthguard to protect your teeth while you sleep.
- Avoid or quit smoking, as this habit alone can greatly increase your risk for cavities, gum disease and oral cancer.
Just like the rest of your body, your teeth and gums also require certain vitamins and nutrients to stay healthy. Want a healthy smile? Then follow these dietary tips,
- Limit sugary foods and drinks including fruit juices, sports drinks and even diet sodas.
- Avoid processed starches such as white breads, pastas and rice and swap with whole grain alternatives.
- Eat a balanced diet that contains legumes, nuts and seeds, lean protein, vegetables and fruits, whole grains and dairy.
- Limit snacks, as snacking all day long can increase plaque buildup and cavities.
Nothing is more important than the health of our patients. Our Dearborn, MI, family dentist is still providing emergency care to those in immediate need. For dental emergencies please call (313) 406-9612.